Wednesday 30 August 2017

EveryMAN

 
Society is obsessed with perfection.

Everyday we're faced with unrealistic body goals, pressure to look a certain way and constantly bombared with images of the most beautiful people. And it takes it's toll.

When we talk about body positivity and confidence people just assume that we're talking about women but that's not the case. Men face these issues too.

So when fashion photographer Tarik Carroll set out to create a photo series to promote body positivity in men, he wasn't expecting the reaction he got.

EveryMAN - what began as a collection of 90's-inspired photos featuring men of different sizes, race and sexualities has fast become a 'movement' of sort.

"I had no idea it would become a viral sensation. I am beyond grateful and shocked," Carroll told PEOPLE. "Doing this project is purely a labour of love. I thought, if I reach a small amount of poeple, that's fine. But I would be beyond blessed if I'm allowed a platform to inspire a mass amount of people."

 
 The idea of EveryMAN came about last year but almost didn't happen. Carroll knew that once he made this project that he himself would have to deal with his own body issues as well.

"I'm a photographer. I'm used to being behind the camera and now I'm in front of the camera."

"I had my own 'a-ha' moment when I started to realise I have my voice as a fashion photographer and I need to speak about this," he continued.

 Creating the EveryMAN project to empower and inspire, Carroll hopes to create a safe space that will serve to liberate men worldwide from self hate.

As he prepares to expand his vision, he hopes to stay true to his original vision.

"My overall goal is to essentially cause a shift in consciousness in society specifically in the fashion community," he says. "Showing body diversity and affecting men and how they see themselves and each other. I want everyone to feel a little more confident in their own skin and be their genuine self."



No comments:

Post a Comment